WELCOME
va | es | it | en

HISTORY

The archaeological remnants provide evidence of the existence of human communities in our municipal area at least as far back as the Bronze Age. The remains of houses, stone tools or handmade ceramic objects are part of the findings in the mountain area of Penyascals. In addition, there is evidence of a necropolis with burial mounds, and covered by river pebbles with a similar chronology to that found at the Fosca-Horteta House. There is continuity in the settlement at the Penyascal Mountain which sprung up during the Iberian Era, and which disappeared following the Roman occupation, when the population spread throughout prairie settlements capable of agricultural production.

A typical example of these Roman villae is the town of Campina-Catorzena located within the municipal area of Potries. Its size, although unclear was however considerable, with residential areas, areas for agricultural exploitation and transformation and even workshops for the production of ceramic objects intended for a market. The Visigoth era brought the ruralisation of the area and the maintenance of the Roman settlements. With the arrival of Islam, the rural population was concentrated into small settlements, which gave birth to the urban nucleus of small towns such as Potries.

In 1240, when the Catalan-Aragonese King, James the Conqueror, took possession of the district and its surrounding territories, Potries was a small farmstead, one of many existing in the area. The site of Potries lay within the dominions of Rebollet Castle, and, together with other sites, was donated by the king to the Carròs family, the head of which was the first Lord of Potries. Thus, the history of our town developed in parallel to that of other urban centres of greater magnitude, such as Oliva or la Font d’En Carròs, and was always set within a greater territorial context, known as Honor de Rebollet (The Honour of Rebollet) or Terme de Dalt (Higher Territory). In 1364, the armies of Peter the Cruel of Castile devastated our territory, including the lands of Potries during the War of two Peters. Some years later, in 1368, Berenguer de Vilaragut, who was married to Alamanda Carròs, declared himself through wedlock to be the Lord of Honor de Rebollet, and granted the Resettlement charterof his possessions, due to their deplorable state following the war. In 1382, Ramon de Riusech was acknowledged as the Lord of the States of Oliva and Rebollet and when he died in 1387, the title was continued by his nephew Gilabert Centelles i Riusech. The Centelles family held dominion over this land for many years. Around the middle of the 15th Century, in 1449, the Lord of Potries, Francisco Gilabert de Centelles, received the title of Count of Oliva from the Monarch Alphonse the Magnanimous. The marriage between Carles Borgia and Magdalena Centelles in 1569, and thus, our municipality became part of the dominions of the Earldom of Oliva. Due to the marriage between Carles Borgia and Magdalena Centelles, the Earldom of Oliva and the Dukedom of Gandia became united under the territory dominated by one of the most important families of the era; the Borgia family. Thus, Potries became another property of the powerful Borgia dynasty.

Between the end of the 18th Century and the beginning of the 19th Century, Potries, along with many other towns, had long litigations with the Osuna family. In an attempt to obtain independence, it sought protection under the laws approved in 1814 introduced by the Cortes of Cadiz, (lleis desvinculadores) which favoured the elimination of jurisdictional dominions.

Muslims almost exclusively inhabited Potries until 1609, the date when the Moorish settlers were expelled. After this date, the municipality was left virtually uninhabited, and did not regain its population levels of 1609 until almost one hundred years later. During the 15th Century, the town’s main source of wealth was sugar cane, as was the case for the rest of the district.
When sugar cane production fell into decline at the end of the 17th Century, the cultivation of the white mulberry tree, dedicated to the breeding of silkworms, gained substantial importance as did the cultivation of vineyards and olive trees. From the beginning of the 20th Century, there was a massive introduction of orchards, which, today continues to be the most important cultivation in the municipality. Although the town is predominantly agricultural, there remains one unique feature related to art crafts - Potries has been characterised throughout the centuries for its production of ceramic objects.